Friday, March 02, 2007

Counterfeit $100 and $50 Bills Reported in NYC

With the Secret Service reporting a recent increase in the number of counterfeit $100 and $50 bills showing up in the New York City area (Link to news story), it seemed a good idea to educate everyone, not only how to identify the counterfeits, but also how to identify a genuine bill.

How to Identify the Recent Counterfeit Bills
Here are links to the Secret Service counterfeit warnings:
Click here to view the counterfeit $100 bill
Click here to view the counterfeit $50 bill

How to Identify Genuine Bills
Here is a link to the Secret Service Know Your Money Poster

2 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Anonymous renee said...

Today I was doing the daily deposit at work and I came across a counterfeit $100 bill.
At first glance I knew right away it was fake, but I think the employee excepted it because it not only had the water mark and the hidden strip thing but it also got past our counterfeit pens. (the ones where you write on it to test it)

I laughed when I saw that it was dated 1996 and yet still had the large Benjamin Franklin head like the newer hundreds.

I wish I could have taken it home.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger A.C. Dwyer (aka The Arlington Collection) said...

It may not have been counterfeit. The 1996 series notes were the first to have the large Benjamin Franklin portrait.

His portrait was framed in an oval of concentric lines on each series after that until the 2004 series, which has the large head without the frame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home