Saturday, May 19, 2007

What do shipwrecks, the California gold rush, and the Civil War have in common? . . . $20 gold coins!

With all the current news about the $500 million shipwreck treasure of gold and silver coins recently discovered, I thought now would be a good time to revisit an earlier shipwreck also discovered by Odyssey Marine Exploration. That shipwreck was the SS Republic.

For those of you that have read my posts in the past or have seen my collection on the NGC Registry (click here to view the collection), you already know about my affinity for collecting $20 Gold Type 1 Double Eagles (1850-1866). The nice thing about the SS Republic was that it had plenty of $20 gold on it. Close to half my collection consists of gold from this shipwreck. Many of the coins are the top graded coins for that date and mintmark recovered from the wreck.

But instead of writing something myself about the SS Republic and $20 Type 1 Double Eagles, I am going to point you to a reprint of an article that appeared a couple of months ago in Numismatic News. The article tells the story of $20 Type 1 Double Eagles and their relationship to shipwrecks, the California Gold Rush, and the Civil War. This article will give you a good idea why myself and many others love to collect these coins.

$20 Gold Type 1 Double Eagles article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home