Friday, December 10, 2010

Numismatic Holiday Gifts: Coin Photography

Numismatic Photography is one of the most important numismatic books many coin collectors still don't have on their bookshelf.

Over the past decade, the internet and 3rd party grading services have changed the way we collect coins.

Today, more and more, our collections are built by coins that we purchase without ever having held the coin in our hands. Third-party grading gives us a sense of security that a coin is authentic and graded somewhat accurately, but it's the online photographs that give us an idea of what a coin truly looks like.

Photographing coins, especially those in slabs, has been a source of frustration for many of us collectors over the years, but there is a ray of hope.

Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman is by far the best book on the subject. The tips and advice from Goodman's book has allowed my coin photos to evolve from some of the most mediocre and ugly photos, to some very beautiful and accurate photos of the coins in my collection. Using this book, I am now confident that I can take photos that accurately show the condition and coloring of my coins.

Most important, I don't need to buy expensive cameras and gear. A couple of cheap lights, a clear area on my desk, and my compact digital camera is all I need. All things I already had prior to purchasing the book.

Here is an example of a Moffat $10 eagle from the SS Central America shipwreck in a PCGS holder and graded X-40 that I photographed both before and after I read Goodman's book:


What a difference!

Now I no longer have to take my coins out of the bank in order to enjoy them or share them with others.

So if you are looking for the perfect holiday gift for the coin collector in your family, you may want to give them a copy of Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman.

Here are some links to other photos I created using tips from Goodman's book:

1904 50¢ Barber Half Dollar PCGS MS-66

1837 1¢ Merchants Exchange (HT-293) NGC MS-64BN

1852-O SS Republic $20 Gold Double Eagle NGC MS-61

1911-D/D St. Gaudens $20 Gold Double Eagle NGC MS-65


Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

This is a really great book. It helped so much with taking pictures of coins for our site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home